Monday, June 3, 2013

How Do You Want to Be Remembered?

Can I lend you a hand?
How do you want to be remembered or known by people? I've done many funerals since coming to Wesley Memorial. I believe the count is up to 16 lives celebrated. All have truly been celebrations of life, and as family and friends gathered together to tell stories of the deceased they spoke of characteristics, behaviors, hobbies each loved one would always be remembered or known. In my mandatory University 101 class with Dr. Parker at Gardner Webb University, I remember he had us write our obituaries. I wish I still had what I wrote because for the life of me, I can't remember what I wrote in my obituary. Dr. Parker prepped us for this task by asking, "How do you want people to remember you?"

I've been thinking about this a lot as I've been spending what looks like will be one of my favorite member's last couple days with us in this world. Doris is like a grandmother to me, and she will be remembered to me for her abounding love and cheerfulness. She is a person who never meets a stranger, and you can't help but love Doris because she can't help but love people. I know hers is the kind of life that Jesus will welcome into heaven with the words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." I like to tell people that I have a great job because it is simply my job to love people. Doris' life was about loving people; it wasn't a job, but just how she was--a person defined by loved. She will be remembered forever by her family and friends for her love. How do you want to be remembered?

Yesterday after church as I was sitting with Doris; I got a call, but didn't answer it. As I was leaving the hospital I listened to a voicemail from a man named Joseph who asked me to call back. I called Joseph back, and he said, "Hi Rev. Sipes. I heard you are a person who helps people, and I need help." I've received similar calls from various people in need around Columbia. You give your card to one person, and suddenly your number makes its into the hands of those who need a ride to work, a meal, some gas, a person to talk to, clothes or help with finding a place to stay. I don't mind. I've never thought much about these calls, other than it is my job as a clergy person to help such people in need. I don't think my college obituary said anything about being a person who helps people, but when Joseph called me, I immediately felt honored to be known as a person who helps people.That's how I want to be known and remembered! I can think of many things I wish I would be known for--a great runner, a great preacher, a theologian, a writer, an artist, a fashionista, the list could go on and on of those things I wish I would be known for that have everything to do with my abilities, work and outward appearance and very little to do with something so simple, yet worthy, as being known as a person who helps people. I want people to know me and remember me as a person who helps people--a person who empties myself for people the way Jesus did for people every single day.
Me and Doris


Striving to be a person who helps people in the name of Jesus seems to me like a much better, fulfilling life than striving for the recognition of the world--an empty pursuit that will never bring lasting satisfaction or fulfillment. If I am honest with myself, most of the things I want to be known for have everything to do with me and nothing to do with God and how God desires I live this one life I've been given.  Sure I claim to use my God-given gifts and talents for God, but ultimately I make life about me, me, me, and such a life is exhausting because it is never ending! My prayer is that God will satisfy my heart as I use my life simply to help people in all the ways I can, using my gifts, my talents, my resources for others, so that God may be glorified in the help he leads me to provide for his people everywhere. My prayer is that more people will call saying, "Hi Rev. Sipes, I heard you're a person who helps people, and I need help."

No comments:

Post a Comment